Join Our Team – New Open Position
GIFT SHOP COORDINATOR
The Hudgens Center for Art & Learning is seeking a retail/gift shop coordinator who has experience in selecting and buying or consigning gift and artwork merchandise. Being the initial point of contact for our students and patrons, the Gift Shop Coordinator is ‘the face’ of The Hudgens. The ideal candidate must be energetic, friendly, creative, and organized. The Gift Shop Coordinator is responsible for overall operations of the shop, including purchasing, inventory control, retail sales, display, gift-baskets and registering patrons for classes, summer camps, and memberships. The Coordinator fields general questions about exhibits, classes, summer camp, and special events; works closely with our staff accountant to generate monthly sales reports and performing daily back-ups to secure up-to-date computer information; and assists with general administrative tasks. The Gift Shop Coordinator reports to the Director of Operations, must be able to work occasional evenings during special events, and be able to work alone and as part of a team.
This is a part-time hourly position.
NATURE AND SCOPE OF POSITION
- Open and close the gallery and gift shop.
- Provide exemplary customer service, greet patrons as they enter The Hudgens, capture daily attendance numbers, and provide general information about Hudgens Center Activities and Programs.
- Answer and direct phones calls to appropriate staff member. Update voice recording as necessary to reflect current exhibitions and programming.
- Accurately complete customer purchases, process all payment tenders, returns, and exchanges for merchandise, registrations and memberships.
- Manage inventory using QuickBooks POS system, including: adding, pricing and tagging new merchandise and removing consigned merchandise that is returned to artists, back-up POS daily, and perform end-of-month POS close-out reports.
- Purchase merchandise from local & regional artists, at trade shows, from catalogs and websites, including merchandise related to upcoming programs and exhibitions.
- Consign artwork from local & regional artists.
- Arrange and display Gift Shop stock. Restage the shop to coincide with exhibitions and the current season.
- Strengthen and develop relationships with regional artists with the goals of expanding consignment sales.
- Research new lines and ideas by visits of artist showcases, gallery shops, online research, word of mouth, etc.
- Implement activities and events for the shop in order to increase traffic such as artist of month showcase, artist demonstrations, special events, and promotions.
- Maintain vendor files and submit payables to Director of Operations.
- Conduct annual inventory.
- Oversee and maintain shop’s cleanliness and order.
- Provide general administrative support to include maintaining The Hudgens Calendar, preparing mass mailings, data entry, printing flyers, set-up for special events, etc.
- Supervise and train staff and volunteers on Gift Shop processes and procedures.
- Order supplies specific to gift shop such as bags, tissue, ribbon, boxes, etc.
- Deliver mail to staff.
- Attend staff meetings, trainings and team building exercises.
- Assemble decorative wrapped gift baskets as needed for community outreach.
- Restock restrooms between professional cleanings. Check restroom supplies during special events.
The staff of The Hudgens Center for Art & Learning is highly creative and collaborative and seeks a new staff member that is passionate and committed to furthering the arts in our community. The Gift Shop Coordinator will become an important part of The Hudgens Team and must clearly demonstrate a commitment to community arts programming.
EXPERIENCE, TRAINING AND EDUCATION:
- Five years retail experience with at least two years’ management or assistant management experience.
- Experience selecting and purchasing merchandise.
- Requires standing while assisting customers.
- Requires bending to low levels to access merchandise.
- Requires climbing ladders to change displays and reach merchandise.
- Requires breaking down merchandise packaging for recycling and disposing of it.
- Requires cleaning glass counters and shelving, polishing jewelry, and dusting.
- Requires occasional lifting of objects up to 50 lbs.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
- Knowledge of cash management principles and/or procedures.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Knowledge of retail floor sales techniques.
- Knowledge of retail advertising, sales promotion and/or visual merchandising techniques.
- Knowledge of customer service standards and procedures.
- Ability to analyze and solve problems.
- Knowledge of retail stock management and control principles and procedures.
- Ability to summarize and reconcile retail sales and operating statistics, and to prepare routine statistical reports.
- Ability to read, understand, follow, and enforce safety procedures.
- Ability to operate a computerized cash register.
- Ability to foster a cooperative work environment.
- Basic computer skills, including POS, Microsoft Word, Outlook, Excel.
- Familiarity with various social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram).
Licenses or Certificates: No licenses or certificates required.
Special Requirements: May be subject to background investigation.
Typical work week will fall Thursday/Friday/Saturday, between 9:00 and 5:30pm with occasional evenings and Sundays for special events. Monthly staff meetings and annual training/team building will be scheduled in advance and may fall Monday-Friday.
Candidates who are interested in submitting materials should send their resume and cover letter to email@example.com with “Gift Shop Coordinator” in the Subject line.